Monday, October 24, 2011

Think Twice

That’s between me and God.” If that phrase has ever been quoted to you, I can almost assure you that unpleasant circumstances were present. This phrase is generally used when someone decides to cling to sin and reject anyone attempting to hold them accountable to the standard of God’s Word regarding the sin they’re cling to. What’s ironic about this is in their “This is between me and God” declaration, they are actually rejecting the God they imply is blessing their position.

I firmly disagree with the notion that sin is something between me and God. Now, to be totally transparent, there are times when I wish that to be the case but as a wise man once stated, “While sin may occur on an individual level, it always carries collective results.” The sting of that truth has remained with me for many years as it is totally true. In case we need biblical validation on that principle, just consider the fall of Adam and Eve. From a collective standpoint, it literally impacted HUMANITY.
Another validation for this is found in Joshua 7 regarding Achan’s sin in the accursed thing. It is an event recorded and preserved in God’s Word that causes me to think twice about giving in to sin as the “collective” consequences were devastating.
The accursed thing taken by Achan was part of the spoil that had been conquered by Israel and was to be dedicated to the LORD. God was specific in Joshua 6 that they were to keep themselves from the accursed thing and if they failed to do so, they would make the camp of Israel a curse and trouble it (Jos 6:18). Although Achan personally violated God’s command, notice the plural tone in Joshua 7:1:
Jos 7:1 But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.
Achan’s choice to sin led to a compound of casualties. Consider the collective results:
                1.            God withdrew His favor from His people (Jos. 7:11-12).
                2.            36 men died in battle at Ai (7:5).
                3.            Achan and his family were stoned w/ stones and burned w/ fire (Jos. 7:25).
This all happened because of one man felt his sin was worth placing others at risk. God continues to teach me about the high price of sin. I continually discover that cost so much more than it’s worth. It wrecks my relationship with God and puts distance between me and His favor which I desperately need. But it places others in jeopardy as well. I wish it were just between me and the Lord but this is far from reality. The sobering reality is when I chose sin over obedience to God’s Word, I place my family and my local church family at risk. The Spirit of God uses this to help me think twice.
If more men would respect this truth, it might lead to a different outcome while surfing the internet or manipulating the tax forms for gain. Because after those choices are made, God will make His choice and it is sure to impact those closest to the one who chose against God’s Word.
Sin is never just between you and God. This has to make us think twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment